About Me

My photo
To look life in the face, always, to look life in the face. And to know it for what it is. At last to know it, to love it for what it is, and then, to put it away.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Against all odds

I am not referring to the song, in case you're wondering.

I've always wanted to donate blood but i've been rejected on several occasions. The nurse always tell me that my veins are too "fine" (ya my friends are teasing me for using this word haha). The fact that my veins are small caused me a lot of troubles actually, most notably when i go for body check-ups. Whenever a nurse came over to collect my blood, the looks on their facaes were the same: This one is troublesome. Then i know that i have to go through the same process again, where nurses would twist and turn my arm/muscles like it's some kind of clothes that needs drying by hand. Usually 5 people can get their blood drawn before mine came out.

And i don't deny that i'm a stubborn ass, so i just keep trying and trying, hope one day i can make it. Then on Friday, there was another blood donation drive. Even though i'm busy from my essays production, still, i went down to try my luck again.

And it was a good day. I was asked to take a temperature check, 37, perfect. Then a nurse had to examine my vein because i'm a first timer and even i can see my vein clearly popped out. I was excited of course because i was finally able to do it :) Then it took an hour for me to get through registration, waited for people to ask me whether i have had any sex in the past 3 months and got my finger clipped to test my iron level. I've passed all that. Moment of truth.

An auntie nurse came over to me and making all kind of jokes when she numbed me. I thought she felt that i was nervous, but i was not. I was just excited for it to happen :) Then she inserted a needle in my vein, she didn't manage to make it that smoothly so she needs to twist the needle in my arm for a few times. It was a bit strange to watch because it was supposed to hurt but it was not. She managed to get my blood drawn and i was "yay-ing" :) However, things tuned badly like 5 minutes later. My blood flow was a bit slow so she called over a colleague to readjust the needle, this time some blood came out from where they injected me and it was fine again. 3 minutes later, she came back and took a look at my blood packet, she had a no-no look on her face. She said to me most regrettably that there was some clods in my blood because my blood wasn't that fluidized, next time drink a lot of water before you donate :)

And the blood can't be used.

There it was. I waited and queued, laid down and got a needle injected into my vein, still i didn't get to donate. Now my arm hurts a little and bruised, still i didn't get to donate.

So the lesson for today is, do not do things against all odds. Odds are there for a reason, which you know exactly what, how and why. Thinking that you can get passed all that, it doesn't make you brave, it just mean that you are stupid enough to think that you can come on top in a fight with the odds.

No comments: